Saturday, September 23, 2006

Creating My Own Glycemic Index

I have a love/hate relationship with my carbs. I love them for their taste, that satisfying, luxurious, feeling I get after ingesting them, and I hate what they do to my sugars.

I used the DexCom software to chart my response to one of my favorite carbs, a Dunkin' Donuts blueberry muffin for breakfast (73g CHO). The GI value is listed as medium for this food, but the DexCom software shows me shooting up well into the 300s, even with a combo/square wave bolus, taken 15 minutes prior to eating the muffin. Is Symlin in my future if I want to enjoy a muffin? Next time I'll go for half a muffin!

I was in a rush for lunch, as usual, so I enjoyed a Smart Ones Fiesta Chicken; not bad tasting, and quick (47 grams CHO). For dinner, we sometimes celebrate Friday night with pizza; this time I opted for a gyro (55g CHO). Total carbs for the day- 175 grams. Wouldn't it be something if the software had an expert system component that could suggest basal rates, carb/ins ratios, correction factors, and insulin sensitivity factors?

No comments: